Nothing says I’m so New Yawkkk than Yankees apparel. Whether its the infamous NY fitted cap or your favorite players jersey, one cannot deny the proud feeling you get when reppin’ your hometown. Oddly enough, this year I celebrated becoming an actual New Yorker. You see, I was born and raised in the Bronx, but my mom relocated us to Florida when I was 7 and this year, I officially have been living in the state of New York longer than I lived in Florida (hope that makes sense).
I used to visit often growing up and although Florida provided a better quality of life, I just never felt quite at home there. At 19, I decided to move back and I wish I could put into words how happy I am living in the only place that has always felt like home. Switching over my license is physical proof that I am a New Yorker, but the following list is a real sign that as much of a gypsy as I claim to be, this chick right here is all New York!
You’re a real New Yorker…
- When you know better than to enter an empty subway cart (just barfed in my mouth at the thought and smell)
- When you go to Times Square ONLY, if it is a life or death situation
- When you’ve mastered crossing the street during heavy traffic without getting hit. Kind of like a real life game of Frogger
- When you stop giving money to homeless people
- When you have to check yourself before you body (take down) the tourist in front of you who just caused you to miss your train because he/she decided it would be a good idea to stop in the middle of the subway stairs to check their maps once again
- When you don’t stare when you spot a celebrity
- When you’ve stolen a cab from someone who needs it more than you do
- When you believe anyone walking less than 5mph is talking up vital sidewalk space
- When you talk shit about how much you need to get away from the city only to be missing it once you’ve been gone for a few days
- I could go on, and on…
Most importantly, when you realize that you are a special breed. You know that here it all comes down to: “Lead, follow, or just get out of the way”. You are afraid of nothing, always on your hustle, and ready to prove anyone wrong who says otherwise about the greatest city on earth. Because truthfully, if you could make it here baby, you could make it anywhere!
What do you think makes you a New Yorker?
Yes we all love to talk good smack about New York City, but today I’m showing some love to the city of angels, known for its beautiful sunshine, diverse culture, and laid back vibe. I visited LA last year for the first time and loved it! It was such a breathe of fresh air, I couldn’t get enough of the cool, chill vibe.
Todays outfit post was inspired by Ashley Estrada, the timeless and classic young woman that makes up half of the sippin’ in style duo on www.anythingandeverythingLA.com. I started following Ashley and her dapper boyfriend a while ago on Instagram (@ashtianah & @blakescott_ ) and I just love their individual styles. As a couple they are just perfect.
This look was inspired by Ashley’s effortlessly chic, laid back style, I guess you can say this look is a little anything and everything NY. I added a pencil skirt and dressy clutch to dress up a Yankees graphic tee, and finished it off with one of my favorite sneakers. Ashley also seems to be a big fan of Superga’s, and can be spotted rocking these Italian kicks often on her blog. For more style inspiration, be sure to check out www.anythingandeverythingLA.com and tell ‘em I sent you. East coast, west coast love <3